Inspiring you to make healthy food and choices one step at a time

March 9, 2010

Procrastination - The Lock to Healthy Eating


I said earlier that The Key to Healthy Eating is Planning. Well, that makes Procrastination the Lock to Healthy Eating. When we procrastinate it leaves us in a state of emotional eating and held hostage to convenience food. 

I've been putting off making bread. For some reason, the priority wasn't there but I realized there needs to be something to "grab and go" or some place for those yummy dips and even extra virgin olive oil with roasted garlic to be spread and devoured, I mean, eaten.

So thanks to a friend's idea, I was determined to get my bread done and it looks delicious. I used to use a bread machine (which I think is still a good idea) but since I've gone through two, I decided to try it by hand. I found an excellent website The Fresh Loaf and learned how a few years ago.

This is a great recipe for trying your hand at making bread, well, by hand. The original recipe has a nice tutorial on the website so definitely go there and get all the details.

I break all these steps down into 15 minute or less segments so while it does take a while to get the finished product, it's not a time consuming venture. Here's how I made mine...

Honey Whole Wheat Bread
(makes two loaves)

In mixer bowl, stir together and let sit 20 minutes
1 lb. whole wheat or spelt flour (freshly ground)
12 oz. hot water

Add 
8 oz. bread flour or more whole wheat/spelt
5 oz. half yogurt and half water
1/3 c. raw honey
1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
3 tsp. instant yeast 

Run mixer for 5-10 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes and then knead just a minute or two more to get silky texture. Place in oiled bowl and let rise a total of 60 - 90 minutes using 3 stretch and folds. (I know that's really domestic but watch this video on how to do it; it's great for rise.) Then divide in two and shape. Let rise 20-30 minutes (mine always rise fast.) Place in hot oven 425 degrees and immediately turn down heat to 375 and bake for 25 - 35 minutes. When out of oven try to resist eating until cooled. (That's the hardest part about baking bread.) It really helps the finished product though.

Yes, that is citrus honey from our backyard but that's another story. When I make the bread for my family I use all whole wheat or spelt. If you want a great transition bread or are new to baking, use the 8 ounces of bread flour. The recipe called for a can of evaporated milk but in all my breads that include milk, I substitute half yogurt and half water. (Fermented dairy is better digested than regular milk) 

There are just too many details to put in this post so if you are new to bread baking please check out the website, it'll really help. 

Thanks to Amy at New Nostalgia for helping me not procrastinate any longer.

What have you been procrastinating lately?

This is also posted at:

Tasty Tuesdays at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam


Tempt My Tummy at Blessed with Grace

5 comments:

Sarah @ Mum In Bloom said...

Thank you for sharing the great link and recipe. I'm a first year by-hand bread maker too. I've posted my sucess stories on my blog as well. Today I did post a Bread Machine recipe for Cinnamon-Sugar bread as I don't always have time to make bread by hand. It's great to know how though & knowing how to knead has become a great skill for my other recipes like scones. Thanks for sharing :)

Candi said...

Wow that looks great! Looks store-bought!

Amy said...

ok, between you and mum in bloom, i'm gonna have to make some bread!! These look heavenly, simply gorgeous.
the recipe looks great, a must try for me.
thank you for linking up! hope to see you again next tuesday!!

Melanie said...

Your bread looks delicious.

Upstatemamma said...

Oh that looks awesome!! I totally need to get back to making bread.

Related Posts with Thumbnails