Inspiring you to make healthy food and choices one step at a time

January 11, 2010

Chef Cristina - Avocado + Tomato Salad

I am honored to have Chef Cristina with us who loves healthy, organic, delicious food with a Mediterranean, Spanish, and Italian touch. She is one of our contributing writers that will bring you the very best recipes that are not only good for your health but good for your palette. Here she is...



I grew up sitting on the countertop of the kitchen, watching closely how my mom would prepare our family meals. I can vividly remember on schools days waking up to the smell of oatmeal being served; the aroma of cinnamon always made me SMILE. On Saturdays I would help her make her famous chicken spaghetti for me, and the troops (only imagine having a family of seven and adding your cousins brings the number to sixteen).


In consequence of my inquisitive spirit when it came to FOOD I gave in to the powers of salt and pepper and have been cooking ever since I can remember.



You want a delicious snack? Why settle with these protein, oatmeal, or whatever bars that will only deceive your taste-buds and fill you up with little or no vitamins and other nutrients that we all need to charge ourselves up.


Avocados and Tomatoes are a GREAT source of antioxidants like vitamins E + C. Avocados deliver iron and copper for your blood, have a low sugar content and because of their density like bananas they are very filling.


Tomatoes will cleanse your body of toxic compounds.


With this easy to make Avocado + Tomato Salad you will be ‘ready to go’.


This salad can be served on its own, but it is a great choice with simply prepared fish or chicken.


VINAIGRETTE

1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
¼ Cup Olive Oil
1/8 teaspoon dry mustard
Kosher salt and black pepper TO TASTE

2 medium tomatoes, cored and cut into 1 ½ inch chunks
1 medium Hass avocado, half, pitted, peeled and cut into 1 ½ to 2 inch chunks
½ small red onion, thinly sliced
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, cilantro or basil
Kosher salt and black pepper TO TASTE


For the vinaigrette, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, dry mustard, salt and pepper. SET ASIDE


Toss the tomatoes, avocado, onion and parsley together in a bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss with ¼ cup dressing.

For me, there is nothing more heartfelt than the time spent in the kitchen weather it is alone, with a friend, with your spouse, your nephew, your dog, or your children.

COOKING BRINGS US TOGETHER

[Photo]



My Note: That's a picture of my lunch. It was delicious! I had a yellow along with a red tomato for my salad (different color means different antioxidants). If you have any comments or questions for Chef Cristina please let us know by using the comments below. Enjoy!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails