Inspiring you to make healthy food and choices one step at a time

February 5, 2010

Fresh Lemon Fresh Dill Fresh Fish

[Photo]
I am embarrassed to say, that I’ve come to the realization that most of the time, I cook incredibly simply, too simply maybe. This fish is a perfect example of what I mean.
Our neighbor, Chris, is gifted at fishing. Anytime we want fish, he gets it. This time it was mullet. Growing up, my mom said it was called a poor man’s fish but it’s delicious whether rich or poor. We would rather eat freshly caught fish than farmed-raised any day. Our fish intake includes canned salmon, wild sock-eyed salmon, sardines, tuna, and freshly caught fish. So when Chris brought over mullet, I gladly just used what I had on hand and, with my daughter’s help, here’s what we came up with... [Photo]
Fresh Lemon Fresh Dill Fresh Fish
This really simple recipe does not even have measurements. Just use enough ingredients to lightly cover but not soak. You don’t want it to stew. Rinse fish and let dry or pat dry.Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On a sheet with sides,Pour some EVOO over fish fillets and rub to cover.Then lightly pour freshly squeezed lemon juice over top.Sprinkle with sea salt (kosher salt) and pepper.Finely chop fresh dill and sprinkle over fish.[Photo]
Bake 7-8 minutes; my fillets were small. You’ll have to keep checking your fish. You’ll know when it’s done when it’s opaque and flakes with a fork. Again, we have a tasty dish that's good and good for you AND takes less than 15 minutes. [Photo]
I served it with roasted asparagus, 15 minutes here, and we had fresh quacamole to go with our leftover organic chips for an appetizer. I just mash the avocado, leaving it a little chunky, and add sea salt (again, a very simple yet wonderfully healthy dish). [Photo]
We should’ve had some grain or bread to go with it because later we snacked on nuts and dates. While not necessarily bad, I needed to fill my hubby up a little more to reduce the snacking.
But then I had a thought, what had I been doing in the kitchen that made me feel I spent the majority of last year there? Lately, I had cut back on those time consuming items, but now I’m missing them in our diet and need to establish a routine once more. Here are a few of them:
Ezekiel Bread (my husband’s favorite)Nutritious Gluten Free Bread (my daughter’s favorite)Muffins of all varieties (my son’s favorite)Yogurt (a favorite of all)
[Photo]As I work on fitting these back in the plan, I’ll share them with you. But I’ve realized another key to why we consistently eat healthy – I keep it simple! That may work for you or may not. We try to enjoy the flavors of the food itself. I just realized that myself. Oh the wonders of blogging…

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails