Inspiring you to make healthy food and choices one step at a time

February 12, 2010

What's in a name? Brunswick Stew

When Moses was called by God (Exodus 3) to go to the Israelites, Moses said they would ask him, "Who sent you? What is His name?" And God replied, "I AM THAT I AM; tell them I AM sent you." God also said in Ex. 3:15, "This is My name forever and this is My memorial unto all generations." That caught my eye for some reason. His name? God's name shall be a memorial to us? What exactly did that mean?


Usually when something is memorialized, it is a covenant of remembrance. All the stones the Israelites placed throughout the land, He said would be a memorial for those passing by to remember what was done in that place.


Instead of stones, something temporal, God has given us His name as His memorial to us. For the Israelites, as Clarke's commentary states, "In this name, as His eternal memorial, God would now deliver them." God delivered the Israelites from Egyptian bondage; God also delivers us.


In fact, He has given us an even greater name and covenant with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, a name that is above all names...Jesus. Look up Phil. 2:9-11. There is no higher name, no higher covenant. Remember He still delivers us through His name.


So why are we talking about names? My bible reading happened to correlate with my curiosity of the name, Brunswick stew. Two places, called Brunswick, claim the original recipe and I'm sure it's hotly debated there, but no matter where it came from, with all the varieties of Brunswick stew, you'll surely find one you like. I wanted one healthier than the pork, beef, sugar, and butter variety. Here's what I made...


This is not a 15 minute recipe but some things are worth it. :)


2 1/2 quarts water
1 whole chicken, cut up and skinned
Put in large pot, bring to boil and simmer, partially covered, 40 minutes.


Take out chicken and add
1 large onion, diced
5 med. tomatoes, diced small
28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
Bring to a boil, medium high heat and simmer, partially covered, 40 minutes.
Stir every now and then.


Skin, bone and shred chicken.


Add 
Shredded chicken
1 pkg. frozen lima beans
3 potatoes, peeled and diced (optional)
Cook over low heat, partially covered, for 1 - 2 hours.


Add
1 pkg. frozen corn
1/8 c. agave nectar
1/8 c. balsamic vinegar
1/8 c. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. yellow mustard
1 tbsp. sea salt
1 1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper
1/2 tsp. hot sauce
Cook over low heat, partially covered, 30 - 60 minutes.


I adapted this from 3 different recipes: Brunswick Stew, Paula's Brunswick, and Xagave Barbecue Sauce.


I like my Brunswick stew with a little BBQ flavor. The first recipe was the base, but I wanted the BBQ flavor like the second, and the third was the BBQ recipe with agave nectar, as I wanted to eliminate the pork, beef, sugar and butter from the traditional Brunswick Stew. As you look at these recipes, you'll see what I "examined and exchanged" for more nutrient dense food.


As I worked this recipe out, I skinned the chicken before cooking, switched one can of tomatoes for fresh, and didn't want a bottled BBQ sauce. Though I still wanted the BBQ flavor, I didn't want to have to make my own sauce, then cook, and then add. So I just added the ingredients instead and let it cook right there in the stew. I accomplished what I wanted. Yum!


It definitely passed my Strongman's approval and gave us a dish that is a filling comfort food, lower in saturated fat and full of veggies. Perfect for a cold rainy day!


What do you like to fix on cold rainy days? Could it be revamped to get rid of extra fat and sugars?

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Looks so delicious! First time I had Brunswick Stew was when I lived in South Georgia. And then my MIL in middle Georgia used to make it. She gave me the recipe. Have only made it 2 x.
She's in Heaven since '08.
Melanie@Bella~Mella

Diane-The WHOLE Gang said...

Love the list of ingredients in this stew and I can't wait to give it a try. I'm not sure I have ever had this before. Thank you for sharing it on Friday Foodie Fix!

Related Posts with Thumbnails