Inspiring you to make healthy food and choices one step at a time

March 2, 2010

Giada's Roasted Balsamic Vinaigrette Chicken

Again, I need to preface this with saying I am having technical difficulties with my blog and my wonderful patient husband is working long and hard at it. Blogger should've told me not to cut and paste with Microsoft Word...

There are only a few times that I have not altered a recipe and this is one of them, although I did leave the pan drippings out and skin the chicken to make it healthier (so I guess I did alter some). This marinade is so flexible and you do not even have to marinade it that long, not at all if you don't have the time. I have had this recipe for at least 2 years but never made it. The balsamic vinegar just scared me. In salad dressings it has been really strong and I just didn't give it a thought to experiment until one evening when I realized I wanted something different on the chicken than the usual. Emotional eating at its best. :)


I started buying the Publix Greenwise whole chickens because I got fed up with the size of Albertson's chicken breasts that look like they came off the chest of an ostrich. It's just not natural! Bigger is not always better. It depends on how they get that way. I'd rather have a little more saturated fat (whole chicken) that was cleaner than less fat (chicken breast) that was full of who knows what. We are not to the point of buying all organic meat and I am glad, at least for the sake of reaching others, it's not practical. There will be a time I think when the public starts to speak out against the practices of the food industry and the demand of better meat and poultry will go up which will mean the prices will come down. Then the majority of people will be able to afford no antibiotic, hormone free, corn free, free range beef and poultry. Until then, I am buying my whole chickens at Publix ($2.39/lb).

I will shop frugally the best I can but some things are worth it. We don't have meat at every meal and eat a lot less than what we used to. For example, last night we had one chicken to feed all four of us but with a large salad and brussels sprouts on the side it was enough. (I even saved the back for soup.) I'd rather eat less meat and buy better quality. Supporting the efforts of better food is worth the little extra right now. 

Off my soapbox and onto the delicious recipe!


Roasted Balsamic Vinaigrette Chicken
(original recipe no longer available on food network)

Mix together
1/4 c. balsamic vinegar
2 tbls. dijon mustard (any mustard will work)
2 tbls. fresh lemon juice
2 garlic cloves, chopped (roasted gives more flavor)
2 tbls. olive oil 
Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground pepper


1 (4 lb.) chicken, cut up (I skin everything but breast)
Put everything together in a container and let sit as long as possible, up to 1 day. (Giada says at least 2 hours)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees (although I like 425) and roast for 35-45 minutes. 

Giada then takes the pan drippings and makes a sauce and I am sure it's good but all the drippings are is fat. It's not necessary for this. You can sprinkle chicken with 1 tsp. lemon zest and 1 tbl. chopped parsley but I have yet to do this.

This is not a pretty dish because of the balsamic but it is okay because of the taste. By the time you add your colorful salad and veggies on the side, the plate looks good. I love good healthy food that tastes great!

This recipe takes less than 15 minutes to prepare, even with skinning the chicken. Next time try substituting a healthier brand of chicken for the one you usually buy; see if there's a difference. You should notice it in the taste and texture, besides being a normal size. Serve with roasted vegetables; if your oven's big enough, place tray in with chicken the last 15 minutes of cooking (400 degrees) for a time saver.


Start with one healthy change at a time and support the efforts of those trying to bring us better quality food. Enjoy!




This is linked to:


Tasty Tuesdays at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam


Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays at Blessed with Grace

 
Food on Fridays






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummy, elegant, and easy.

Amy said...

this looks delish. can't wait to try it!
thank you for putting me in your blogroll, I am honored.
-Amy@NewNostalgia

Related Posts with Thumbnails